Saturday 26 December 2009

GOOD MAN: John Godfrey Saxe

I came across Saxe whilst investigating 'Flatland' (see earlier blog) on Wikipedia, through a series of rather tedious links. John Godfrey Saxe was a Victorian poet whose use of language amused me enough to Google him and read more of his stuff, but I realised he was an utter legend when, upon reading his rather lovely anthology online, I happened upon his poem 'Early Rising':
Yes; bless the man who first invented sleep
  (I really can't avoid the iteration);
But blast the man, with curses loud and deep,
  Whate'er the rascal's name, or age, or station,
Who first invented, and went round advising,
That artificial cut-off,--Early Rising!
 Suffice to say he's become one of my favourite people ever.
NB: full poem and others available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment